Thursday 5 December 2013

WORKSHOP: ADDING AND COMPARING MUSIC

For this task the objective of this task was to find a clip form a movie or a television series and add music to it. We were to use two different ways which were; Garage Band (the music application) and to collect a sound clip with or without lyrics from youtube or from sound library and add them to the video clip you have chosen.
METHOD 1
The clip I chose was from the wire, the scene is called "How to play Chess." I chose it because I am familiar with the scene so I gad a rough ides of what I wanted to do to it. The scene involves two African American teenage boys playing checkers on a chess board using chess pieces and a man coming to them and teaching them how to play the correct game.
On garage band I decided to use the Hip Hop drum kit, I used a prolonged symbol noise to introduce the beat. The symbols are good to introduce any beat because its a prolonged sound that gradually gets loud and fades out on its own. The following beat was a cliche Hip hop beat which can be affiliated with any African American genre of media products (films, series' and music) I put in a base beat in the first beat and then ended it with the symbols once again to introduce another beat. I didn't want the beat to run to long so i used the symbols to separate the beats and prepare the audience for another beat, conveniently it was too in place with the dialogue whenever the elder gentleman would talk about another chess piece. This added on to the mood and meaning and made the scene a bit more enjoyable and light hearted, because the beat was simple and on tune with the scene. I think that the way i composed the audio was suitable because the scene contained a lot of dialogue, it would not be effective if i created an over exaggerated music piece because the challenge would be finding away for the audience to listen to both the music and the audio of the clip at the same time. I used the music to add more meaning to the clip this is because the music is mellow, and it is accompanying the explanation of the game of chess.

METHOD TWO
Since the clip is of African American decent I figured that it would be suitable to have an African American song as the back ground music. I chose a song that has a mellow tone to it. I picked my music off of youtube I converted it to an Mp4 and edited it via reaper. The track didn't need a lot of editing t it only needed to be shortened. I put the audio and the track together via, premiere. this was much simpler than using garage band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment